Coding is a new literacy! Here are some links to resources to help you get started.
Introducing Coding ( or Unplugged Coding)
- Try these Direction Arrows (in the style of Bee-Bot arrows)
- Small Coding Arrows with grid for individual student use
- Code.org has multiple unplugged lesson plans
There are many, many robotic options out there (and more appearing all the time). Here are a few that have been tested by my students.
- KIBO – works on batteries. No devices necessary. (Resources)
- Bee-Bot – Rechargeable. No devices necessary. (Ideas)
- Ozobot – charges via USB port on computer. No device is necessary, but value is added when combined. (Resources)
- Sphero – Has it’s own charging station. Requires an iPad to program it.
- Other available robots
- Kodable (free) Sign up as a teacher and get a class code. Create student accounts.
- Daisy the Dinosaur (free)
- Hopscotch (free – requires email address for account)
- Tynker (free) or try their website (pay version) This app requires quite a bit of reading.
- ScratchJr (free) – this app has both iOS and Android versions (Check here for activities, curricula and assessments with ScratchJr.)
- The Foos ( free) Check out Foos resources here.
- Hour of Code – An annual event that happens in December, but you can access the Star Wars, Frozen and other coding fun anytime (free).
Some Curricular Connections
- Art with Sphero – Collaborative Art, Street Art (created by Sphero creators)
- One and Two, More and Less with Bee-Bot
- Counting by 10’s with Bee-Bot
- Telling Stories with Ozobot
- Math with Dash Capture the Kingdom (could also use Bee-Bot)
- Inquiry (Demonstrating Learning) about bees using robots (Dot & Dash)
- Primary Coders: Teaching with Unplugged Activities (free) – Also explains algorithms, sequencing and loops.
- Primary Coders: Introducing Coding in Kindergarten (free) – Unplugged activities as well as introductions and suggestions for beginning apps.
- Primary Coding Adventures (free) This is an iTunesU course in iTunes.
- Introduction to Coding – Scratch Jr. Also an iTunes U course.